"But I will sing of YOUR power, Yes, I will sing aloud of YOUR mercy in the morning; For YOU have been my defense and refuge in the day of trouble. To YOU, O my strength, I will sing praises, For God is my defense, My God of mercy."
Psalm 59:16-17
Tomorrow marks one year from Catharine's birth day. This is what Justin, Mema, Andrea, Keith and Madelyn woke up to in Wake Forest that morning. I called them really early because it was snowing in Chapel Hill. We had no idea Catharine would be born on that day.
This is what Catharine looked like four days after she was born. She was on countless medications, and a ventilator that would make anyone nervous. She was so full of fluid that she weighed 2 lbs more than when she was born. She didn't look like Catharine. It was awful.
This was the view from the left side of her bed. Her monitor, which we watched all the time is the computer screen by the curtain, her ventilator, the osciallator is underneath the monitor. That machine made SO much noise.
This is the medicine tower. I count six medicines at this point that Catharine was on. Poor thing.
This was 11 days before Catharine came home from the hospital. She was off the ventilator and many meds. Her swelling had gone down dramatically and she had some moments of "awake" time. The nurse put a sweet little bow in her hair, which was so special to us. She wasn't wearing clothes yet, so it made her look so different to see a bow in her hair.
...I woke up very early, around 5:30 or so in the morning. The sky outside was starting to lighten and the color of the sky was a little different. I looked closely and noticed it was snowing! I got up to go to the bathroom and passed a blood clot. I paged my nurse and she came and examined it as usual. I knew it would be another typical day of bleeding after that. No big deal. Dr. Newton (one of my favs) came in during rounds (very early) and put me on the monitor (I did this ALL the time) just to make sure Catharine was doing okay (heart rate). Of course she was, she always looked better on the monitor than any of the term babies in Labor and Delivery!
The snow was beautiful. I called home and woke up Justin to tell him about the drama I had already experienced that morning and the snow. He got Madelyn up and they went to play outside before he went to work. I started having very heavy bleeding (in pregnancy that is NOT good, but in my case it happened so frequently it just meant another visit to Labor and Delivery to be told everything was okay). After a couple of visits in my room from different doctors (all whom I loved and saw frequently) they looked at me at about 4:30 in the afternoon and said, "it's time."
I started crying.
It's time?
After all of this, the day before her scheduled c-section, it is time?
I couldn't believe it.
I looked around my hospital room at Mema, Keith, Andrea, Madelyn and our Pastor. "OK, it is time, I repeated in disbelief."
I called Justin and he left work, ran home to change and then headed for the hospital (an hour drive)
Our sweet neighbors came to the hospital to pick up Madelyn. Our dear family friend and Pastor from Dalraida Baptist Church in Montgomery surprised us in the recovery room. Keith and Andrea's dear friends and church members, Pat and Jerry Reeves surprised us by driving up and got there that night.
The people who were there for us the next few days, God truly used to minister to us. We had some dark moments where we were told Catharine wouldn't make it, but God never left our heart's sides. He was ever present to comfort us. We felt so many rallying around us in prayer. The emails, phone calls, cards, and time that people gave was priceless to us.
The people who were there for us the next few days, God truly used to minister to us. We had some dark moments where we were told Catharine wouldn't make it, but God never left our heart's sides. He was ever present to comfort us. We felt so many rallying around us in prayer. The emails, phone calls, cards, and time that people gave was priceless to us.
We are so thankful for what we went through with Catharine.
God has forever changed us.
He has shown us His love in new ways that we never could have seen otherwise.
We thank God for His faithfulness to us and the gift of Catharine.
God has forever changed us.
He has shown us His love in new ways that we never could have seen otherwise.
We thank God for His faithfulness to us and the gift of Catharine.
We are blessed.
6 comments:
I wept all the way through this sweet blog...what a precious, amazing miracle Catharine is...and what precious, amazing parents she has.
Happy Birthday, dear sweet Catharine! It is amazing to think she is one years old and doing so wonderfully. Your faith is so rock solid-- this little girl (as well as Madelyn) is so blessed to have such godly parents. Catharine is truly a miracle and we pray for God's many blessings on her life as she continues to grow! Love you guys!
girl-it just makes me cry and every hair on my entire body stand up to read that blog and remember those days--oh how i was praying for yall. what a MIRACLE--she has lungs! everytime i still see her i amazed at God's wonderous hands!!!
PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!
thanks for sharing the story again this way-it make us praise all the more, again adn again!
Love ya!
stephanie
WOW- 1 year ago how time flies. Happy 1st Birthday Sweet Catharine. It is amazing to see all that God has done this past year and all that he is going to do in the time to come. What a testimony!
I cried while reading this. I remember that day so well. Praise God for this precious miracle!!!
A very Happy Birthday to Catherine!! May she shine bright for many many years to come !! God Bless her ..
Post a Comment