Sunday, June 6, 2010

I haven't bragged enough about how spoiled we got after Justin's parents brought us Wal-Mart packed up in suitcases, took us out to eat many times, bought us coffees and ice creams, so on. But, the biggest and best treat of all, I am convinced, was the Hilton Garden Inn. We were connected to the mall, and yes, it was 5 star. I'm just saying that when you live in a place such as this, where you can't flush your toilet paper (gross, I know) and you have to wait 30 minutes for your water to heat up for a shower that will last you about 6 minutes, as well as an apartment about 550 square feet for a family of 5...well, you know what I'm saying.

There are moments in this country where I feel, oh, sinful. I think, "God, why me?" or, "what can I really do?" I mean there are MILLIONS of people around us worshipping idols, knowing nothing of the One True God who created them. I don't speak their language good enough to save my life, and I just feel like Moses sometimes. I mean, I know the end of the story, but I just get bogged down in my own inabilities sometimes--I'm sure you can't relate at all...

Well, God is so faithful to me, always, but in times like these even more it seems. As we drove home from Delhi, I just watched out the window. Things like babies sitting in the dirt naked outside their hut as their mom rolled dough out into chapattis for lunch. Or, women with huge mounds of sticks on their heads, doing who knows what with them, but man I know that had to hurt at the end of the day. Life going on, as we drove by. Village after village of countless lost people. Sometimes, it is just overwhelming---and then God says through this song by Genny Owens:

"There's a bigger picture you can't see.
You don't have to change the world, just trust in me.
'Cause I am your creator, I am working out my plan,
And through you I will show them, I Am."

So, I'm thankful, for the reminder. I didn't come here on my own initiative or talents. He has a plan. I don't have to change the world, fix all of the poverty stricken issues, or even heal the lame, only He can do these things. I will continue to trust in Him. Oh, He is sooo able.

This afternoon, all of the ladies in my neighborhood were attending a baby blessing time event at another neighbor's house. Her baby boy was 11 days old, and everyone goes to give gifts, see the baby, and eat a major feast of yummy Indian food. I dressed in my fancy outfit and took Elizabeth. It was very interesting, and once again, I was feeling oh so blessed when I sat in this tiny house, smaller than mine, and looked around. My apartment, once again, felt like a 5 star compared to the one I was sitting in. I took R200 (about $4) in an envelope as a gift (that is what my Landlady told me to do) and handed it to the mom, who in turn handed me an envelope that had R10 (about 20 cents) in it. Funny, they pass out R10 to each guest that comes to see their new baby! And they have to fix a feast for their guests. So sad, in our country we expect people to bring US food and gifts! Well, the food was awesome.

The grandmother and new baby boy, notice he is bundled as if it is winter, poor thing.
Sitting with my landlady, Bharti, and my neighbor, Joti.
Elizabeth getting passed around from person to person.

Had to throw in a monkey picture!



Song: "I Am" by Genny Owens

No Lord, he said, you've got the wrong guy.
Simple conversation gets me tongue-tied.
And you're telling me to speak with a maniac king.
Could it be I've lost my mind?
And besides, I am weak, don't you want someone strong,
To lead them out of Egypt when they've been there so long?
And anyway, they wont believe You ever spoke to me.
That's not your problem, God replied.
And the rest is history.

There's a bigger picture you can't see.
You don't have to change the world, just trust in me.
'Cause I am your creator, I am working out my plan,
And through you I will show them, I Am.

Now Lord, are you sure? He's just a shepherd boy,
Too small for battle gear with a giant to destroy.
What on earth can he do with five stones and a sling?
That's not your problem, God replied.
'Cause I can do anything.

There's a bigger picture you can't see.
You don't have to change the world, just trust in me.
'Cause I am your creator, I am working out my plan,
And through you, I will show them,
I Am the first, I Am the last,
I Am the present and the past,
I Am tomorrow and today,
I Am the only way.

Great Lord, she said, I'm just a simple girl.
You say that I will bring your son into the world.
How can I understand this thing You're gonna do?
That's not your problem, God replied.

'Cause, there's a bigger picture,
And you don't have to change the world.
I'm your creator, I am working out my plan.
And through you, I will show them,
There's a bigger picture, you can't see.
You don't have to change the world, just trust in me.
I'm your creator, I am working out my plan,
And through you, I will show them, I Am.

3 comments:

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Great post! Thanks!!!

Lynn said...

Thank you for sharing, Chandra! I can imagine that I would feel the same way you do if I were there. Most of your time is just spent being a mom anyway, right? But He is God, and He IS in control of where He's put you now. I'm glad our hearts can rest in Him. To paraphrase, "What does He require? To do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God." And that is enough for us to handle, I think. :)

Kelly said...

wow...what post, hang in there sister. G has BIG plans for you...look at what you are doing thus far!