Friday, July 22, 2011

Worth it.

Justin went to Peru for 10 days and I decided a trip to Mobile was long overdue.  It is not easy carting three kids 6 and under to my Grandparents' house.  I dreaded the thought of our time there because of the breakables and the little dogs that are afraid of my kids, among other things.  But, I must say, God truly made our time great.  The girls behaved, they didn't break anything, the dogs were more flexible and let the girls pet them.  I got to spend some time with a dear friend and her kids.  We caught up with a family that means the world to us.  We went to mine and Justin's Alma Mater and saw some familiar faces and incredible upgrades.  

We went home.  Home for me is such a complicated definition.  But, as I get older, the definition becomes something different, and I'm adding this to my current list of "home" definition attempts:

Home is where familiar faces are, you know the back roads and short cuts and don't have to ask for directions, you are flooded with memories of good times, and you are sad but satisfied to leave, cause you know you'll go back.
 Great Nana
 Elizabeth loved climbing up in Great Papa's lap and petting Jack the dog.


 Plunders from Great Papa's Chocolate Factory!  (See picture below for explanation!)
 This is precious to me.  I grew up at my Papa's store (a Texaco) and helped at the register when I got older.  Some of my favorite memories include getting a brown paper bag and filling it up with candy and treats, whatever I wanted!  I could have anything, and my girls got to experience that today.  They call it "Papa's Chocolate Factory" and were thrilled to have whatever they wanted!
 He was making her laugh so hard, it was precious.

My Great-Aunt Marie and Uncle Roy

We had a great visit.  

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. I need to go visit my own grandparents in Mobile, but the sleeping arrangements and the four hours with James in the car hold me back, too.

Bringhurst Family said...

So precious Chandra. I know what you mean about it being hard to define 'home' ( as in where you grew up). My parents and I lived in a different place every year but summers were always at the 'Mine'. 100-plus acres north of Fairbanks. The 3-creeks that merged into 1 were Named (appropriately) "Faith", "Hope" and "Charity". They were named that way before we got there but they sure defined who my dad was. Love you.