Beggars in India are inevitable.
We knew before we moved here that we would be bombarded with people asking us for food, money, clothes, etc. We have a firm rule that we do not give money, that we learned while working with a homeless ministry in our college town. We will give food, or other things though, as the Lord leads.
In front of our house is a walkway/road that is always busy with people, some cars, and lately, beggars. Each day is different, as the weather gets warmer though, there seems to be more and more beggars taking up daily residence in front of our house. The hardest thing is when they have tiny unclothed children with them.
Today, I was showing off my modest knitting to my neighbor ladies. I was off my porch, but in front of my house. A beggar and her infant who is barely walking, came up from where they had been sitting, and began to beg in our faces. Of course Madelyn made mention that the baby had no pants on, while Catharine asked what they wanted. Children truly love as Jesus tells us, don't they? Love it. So my neighbor ladies both ran into their homes and brought out bread/water/leftover food, etc. Then she turned to me.
I had recently decided not to give off my porch because I didn't want beggars coming to our door, which would definitely happen. But I was in a predicament. Indians give to beggars without even thinking about it. We of course are considered rich here, even though we are NOT...but white skin= money...so what to do? She asked me for milk for her baby. I went in and got some and a bottle that we are not using b/c Elizabeth is using sippy cups now.
Felt good. To give when asked, you know? The Bible says to give and to be generous. We recognize everything we have is a gift from the Father.
But, then...
Within minutes, we had a small child sitting at our gate with her hand through asking for food, a woman sitting on our steps doing the same thing (unrelated) and 4 new beggar women sitting together pointing up to our house from the road with their small children. We had to go inside because it was just too much. The difference between our giving and Indians giving is after an Indian gives to an Indian that's that. When we give to an Indian, it's just the beginning of what and how much they will ask for.
What to do. What to do.
4 comments:
Wow Chandra. What a predicament! I will be praying for wisdom for you as you work among these people!
Bless your heart! I know that must be a challenge.
Thank ya'll so much for your prayers and encouragement :)
Hey I'm back in blogville. I'm catching up on everyone's now that I updated from October. I love looking at your pictures.
Post a Comment