Justin has been away. He was gone for three days, and I'm wiped! Just so you can know how human and imperfect I am, I thought I would share about what our day looked like.
Last night, it started to storm. It was by far the best storm we've had since we've lived in India. Today reminded me of living in Alabama, except for the Indians and well, you know what I mean, because it rained all day. It was stormy and wonderful. This picture shows the dark cloud moving in, and the rest of the day was filled with wind, thunder, lightening, rain, etc. Loved it. The temp even dropped into the 50s! Brrrrr!I love being a mom. It is a gift, and I feel honored to be the mom of three precious daughters. But, today my patience was worn out. M and C have been caddy little girls the past while, and frankly, I'm done with it. I wish I could make them be nice, but I'm afraid this is going to be a long process of teaching moments. I just pray they learn to love each other and continue to grow into best buds. My point is, we didn't do any type of school activities today. I didn't even read them a book (gasp!). Actually, I started a book and they were too distracted and wouldn't listen, so I stopped. We did color. They watched Oswald, and Toy Story. A couple of kids came over and played. We made brownies, but I didn't let them eat any (mean mommy) because they were already hyper and I knew they wouldn't go to bed if I did. We dressed for rain and sat on the porch until I was too cold to stay out, then we came back in. I let them put on bendis and have a photo shoot, which they always love. They put together some puzzles. Played in their room. At lunch, I don't think we said the blessing...and at dinner I was too tired to make them eat (like we have to do most nights) so they picked at their food until it had been too long and I just gave in.
I always feel guilty at the end of the day if I spent too much time on the computer, or let them watch too much TV. I vow to do better the next day, but sometimes I don't. I guess I wanted to blog a day of ours just to show that we aren't perfect (not that any of you thought we were). Sometimes blogs show the BEST of our lives. It gives this glimpse into our days that seems dreamy or magical, perfect or awesome. I wanted you to know that we are normal. I desire to be godly, to pursue holiness and Biblical parenting--but I fall short. Ha! In fact, I fall short every single day. I'm so thankful that God doesn't have a measuring stick lined up to my daily achievements, successes or failures. He is so merciful, forgiving and loving. He is so good.
So, let me shout it from the rooftop...I'm NOT a perfect mom! We don't always get it right. We mess up daily. I know you do too. I challenge you to be more honest about your shortcomings to others. Even as Christians, we can size ourselves up to each other (especially moms) and make ourselves feel better or worse based on what other people are doing. I'm sure you know what I mean...can anyone relate to this? Homeschooling moms? Moms who breastfeed vs. moms who don't. Moms who let their kids eat at McDonald's and those who don't? Don't we always compare ourselves to each other?
So, there you have it! Not the typical post...but I felt it necessary. Hope you were encouraged in some way.
"Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord. For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends." 2 Corinthians 10:17-18

5 comments:
I think this is one of my favorite entries, maybe b/c I was such a bad mom yesterday. Some days I feel horrible because I just don't like my child! I guess there are days when God doesn't like us very much but He sure does love us.
I think you are a wonderful mom! Love you! You are a good writer too!
Chandra, your posting was so sweet. I can relate.. I can only say that at the age of 53, I have spent a lot of wasted energy and time feeling like I was a bad mom...that I could have done better....or more. I look at my daughters, you... So proud of the mom's that you all are. I always tend to compare myself to others... Wishing I could go back and have a 'do-over'. We are too hard on ourselves at times.
Your posting today brought tears to my eyes. I know that as I watch my own mom come to the end of her life that I only want her to know what a wonderful mom she was to me. That I am eternally grateful. Aunt Brenda
Oh, I LOVE you for being so real. YOU are a treasure.
What a breath of fresh air! I love this post! I feel that way so often. I yell too much and don't do school every day (or even every week) and I'm so, so tired too (and I can completely relate to not getting your kids to eat dinner. Mine haven't had any veggies in days because I'm too tired to go through all the encouraging it takes to make it happen). It is so nice to know I'm not the only one that feels like a complete failure sometimes! You are a great encouragement!
girl--LOVE this post.
blogs are SO so one-sided...they are designed to high-light the fun, or super cool things in our family life, i suppose...thanks for being so real and transparent. you are always setting such a good example for us, c.
love you!
Post a Comment