Just in case you think you are the only mom who doesn't have it all together...see the following post:
This morning, I was determined to take my daughters to story time at the library for the first time in over a 2 years. Mind you, my kids are 6, 4, and 2. It was 8 am and I was sipping my coffee when I thought---"oooh, we need to hurry up and get ready to go!" I plopped Elizabeth in a bubble bath and then got in myself (with my cup of coffee, I'm all about some multi-tasking). After I bathed, I got out and let her soak some while I fixed my (VERY greasy, unwashed because I thought I would try out my new waterless shampoo) hair. Well, then the big girls got into the bath, cause honestly they needed it. I don't know about you, but in my house baths take a lot of time and with our busy life, baths happen ever few days. Just saying. So...as I'm fixing my hair and realizing that the waterless shampoo was a (very) bad idea, I also realized that time was ticking and we were surely going to be late.
Kids out of the bath, lotion routines, finding matching clothes, and then the shoe dilemma. We have three daughters. With girls comes a very large supply of shoes. We have yet to find a solution to keep the before mentioned shoes organized. If you have found a good way to keep up with shoes---please share. I finally decided to buckle the kids into the van while I searched for some shoes for Catharine. This always works. So, the search continued....and finally I found some shoes that were not made to wear in summer, but honestly out of 10 pairs of shoes for that girl I could only find one matching set and I can't help it that they were Osh Kosh suede ones. Oh well for her :)
It is 9:10 and I'm thinking---ok, being a few minutes late to story time isn't soooo bad, at least we are going, right? Well, when we get to the library, I'm noticing that there are only a few cars in the parking lot. Yes, we were 45 minutes EARLY. Who is ever early to story time? Elizabeth isn't the best library kid. She wants to run up the stairs and play in the water fountain, and touch people's babies, and mess with the computers. The big girls are totally robbed of their big girlness with that lil' sister. We found a new Junie B. audio set and started to fill our bag with desired reads for the week.
Finally, it was time for the story time castle to open. Elizabeth can't sit. It is just uber frustrating for this momma to see other two year olds sitting in their mom's laps while their big brothers and sisters listen to the stories. Now, I will say that this lady reading books was NOT fun. I'm thinking her tongue ring had nothing to do with her ability to read stories in a captivating way, but it wasn't just that. The selection wasn't good either. So, story time wasn't the best.
After story time, it was McDonald's play and lunch time with friends. This was fun. I love that McDonald's has 20 nuggets for 6 something and a dollar menu for drinks and fries. We can eat there (without Justin) for less than 10 bucks. So, we did. It brought me great peace and filling up to sit with other mom friends who have littles that wear them out. And, running into some great old college friends while there was just an added bonus.
I've been in a funk lately. I know why it is. I'm not surrounded by friends. I'm a super extroverted girl who needs to be surrounded by like-minded ladies to get charged. I have truly been missing out on that for a long time. Being in our new town is awesome, we love it. But, it'll take some time for it to be truly home, you know?
We didn't leave McDonald's until 1:30, and we got there at 11! It was great, even though as I type this Elizabeth is still awake in her bed at 2:30, too tired to fall asleep.
Hope you don't feel alone in your mothering. Hope that you know there are other imperfect mommas out there that are trying their hardest to be good moms :)
Happy Tuesday! May you all have un-greasy hair and free refills on your sweet tea.
This morning, I was determined to take my daughters to story time at the library for the first time in over a 2 years. Mind you, my kids are 6, 4, and 2. It was 8 am and I was sipping my coffee when I thought---"oooh, we need to hurry up and get ready to go!" I plopped Elizabeth in a bubble bath and then got in myself (with my cup of coffee, I'm all about some multi-tasking). After I bathed, I got out and let her soak some while I fixed my (VERY greasy, unwashed because I thought I would try out my new waterless shampoo) hair. Well, then the big girls got into the bath, cause honestly they needed it. I don't know about you, but in my house baths take a lot of time and with our busy life, baths happen ever few days. Just saying. So...as I'm fixing my hair and realizing that the waterless shampoo was a (very) bad idea, I also realized that time was ticking and we were surely going to be late.
Kids out of the bath, lotion routines, finding matching clothes, and then the shoe dilemma. We have three daughters. With girls comes a very large supply of shoes. We have yet to find a solution to keep the before mentioned shoes organized. If you have found a good way to keep up with shoes---please share. I finally decided to buckle the kids into the van while I searched for some shoes for Catharine. This always works. So, the search continued....and finally I found some shoes that were not made to wear in summer, but honestly out of 10 pairs of shoes for that girl I could only find one matching set and I can't help it that they were Osh Kosh suede ones. Oh well for her :)
It is 9:10 and I'm thinking---ok, being a few minutes late to story time isn't soooo bad, at least we are going, right? Well, when we get to the library, I'm noticing that there are only a few cars in the parking lot. Yes, we were 45 minutes EARLY. Who is ever early to story time? Elizabeth isn't the best library kid. She wants to run up the stairs and play in the water fountain, and touch people's babies, and mess with the computers. The big girls are totally robbed of their big girlness with that lil' sister. We found a new Junie B. audio set and started to fill our bag with desired reads for the week.
Finally, it was time for the story time castle to open. Elizabeth can't sit. It is just uber frustrating for this momma to see other two year olds sitting in their mom's laps while their big brothers and sisters listen to the stories. Now, I will say that this lady reading books was NOT fun. I'm thinking her tongue ring had nothing to do with her ability to read stories in a captivating way, but it wasn't just that. The selection wasn't good either. So, story time wasn't the best.
After story time, it was McDonald's play and lunch time with friends. This was fun. I love that McDonald's has 20 nuggets for 6 something and a dollar menu for drinks and fries. We can eat there (without Justin) for less than 10 bucks. So, we did. It brought me great peace and filling up to sit with other mom friends who have littles that wear them out. And, running into some great old college friends while there was just an added bonus.
I've been in a funk lately. I know why it is. I'm not surrounded by friends. I'm a super extroverted girl who needs to be surrounded by like-minded ladies to get charged. I have truly been missing out on that for a long time. Being in our new town is awesome, we love it. But, it'll take some time for it to be truly home, you know?
We didn't leave McDonald's until 1:30, and we got there at 11! It was great, even though as I type this Elizabeth is still awake in her bed at 2:30, too tired to fall asleep.
Hope you don't feel alone in your mothering. Hope that you know there are other imperfect mommas out there that are trying their hardest to be good moms :)
Happy Tuesday! May you all have un-greasy hair and free refills on your sweet tea.
4 comments:
this post made me laugh and i'm not even a mama yet!!! lol I hope you have a great rest of your wek!!
I know how you feel and why you are in a "funk". Remember when I was the same at the new church? I am waiting on you to call or email and maybe we can catch up??!! Miss you. I am not going to stop until you call! Now I know how you felt all the time I was in hiding. :) Gina
So...baths happen every few days (I strive for every other day) here, too. And my dry shampoo gave me a lot of static and left me with a slight ashy look (I tried it when James was little.) Keep at it. Your girls are great (but exhausting, I know.). :)
Chandra, I swear, you and Jessica are the BEST writers EVER! You are so descriptive and funny and 'real'. You both should write a book -together or separate. It would be an awesome read.
Post a Comment