Sunday, January 3, 2010

We're Baaack!

I have this goal to update our blog at least once a week, having internet will make this possible! So...for the first time in a while...here is an update!

Fast Food
Cooking in our neck of the woods (in the mountains of South Asia) is mainly from scratch. I do not get to run to Wal-mart, Publix or Chick-Fil-A like I used to. I cannot pick up a frozen pizza or even call to have one delivered. I have learned to make many things here and it isn't terribly difficult, just time consuming. I say all of this to tell you that our new idea of "fast food" is using a pressure cooker! It is amazing how quickly you can cook things in one of those! I'm wondering why I never owned one back home. Some of you may be thinking that you are so thankful you do not have to live this way, but let me assure you...we are doing great! Believe it or not, those luxuries you have, are in fact luxuries. The idea of "needing" things has certainly changed its meaning in our lives. We no longer "need" so much. What we cannot live without, is God's grace and mercy. Everything else is just to help us out along the way.

6 comments:

Rachael Davis said...

So glad to be reading your words again...I've missed you!! Such an answer to prayer to get your blog update. Thank you for the timely reminder about the difference between my wants and my needs. Love you so.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Preach it sister! haha!
I LOVE my pressure cooker... i still have a healthy fear of it but I use it all the time :) haha!

Pam said...

I agree with Rachael--it is so great to read your update and know you are back and doing great! And thank you as well for the reminder of refocusing our wants and needs. Praying for you guys! Love ya!

Stephanie said...

just giving a "shout out" to you, sweet friend! was just THRILLED to see your blog update. can't wait to hopefully hear from yall on a weekly basis...can you make sure to add me to any prayer update lists, please?!
thanks!
so moved and encouraged by yall's sacrifice to say yes and got o the front lines. much love from back home.

J E Martin said...

Thank you guys for your sweet comments. It means SO much to get them. I'm thrilled that we have some folks that enjoy reading about what is going on here! LOVE to you!

Jessica Reid said...

I am so happy to see you blogging again (I had no idea). I love reading about your meal adventures. I tend to feel the same, especially as I try to figure out how to cook meals that are gluten free, dairy free, soy/nut/egg/sunflower free. Simple foods are sometimes best. I still have never used a pressure cooker...